Saturday, June 18, 2011

Messing around with sculpture...

It has been quite some time since I posted. For a few months, I've been gradually spiraling downward in depression. It hit and it hit hard, but yesterday and today seem okay for the most part. I'm certainly not feeling my norm, but I'm hoping I'll get back there soon. Anyway, I'm feeling well enough to do artwork and, really, that's all that matters.
Not ready to get back to that large painting I posted about earlier and not in the mood to work on a drawing I started, I decided to try to create something that has been stuck in my head for years. Several months ago, while pondering this idea, I figured out what materials would be best to use to create it exactly how I want it. Flour, water, and newspaper (or some other kinds of paper). Yes...paper mache. Or papier-mache if you're too cool for paper mache ;)

I'm notorious for my snobbery when it comes to supplies - not to other artists and their choices, but to my own. And not all the time, either. Just once in a while, I'll turn my nose up at an idea I have as the words "Well you're not an artist, then" float through my head (not said by me, but to me...more on that later). Certain things/people make me doubt my abilities, but then I remember the images that float through my head (and sometimes stick for years) and my ability to put them in physical form. And then I consider the fact these people that enjoy telling me what I am or am not are not able to do this. The satisfaction I feel when I remember that not all of me sucks is good and also acts a a giant middle finger to those naysayers. "You can say that, but look what I can do!"

Knowing these things about me, I sort of feel like I'm having a sordid affair by using paper mache. It feels good, though. I love messy and I love getting my hands thoroughly involved in what I'm doing. Paper mache lets me do that. I get to enjoy the feel of sculpting at a much cheaper cost than clay!

Here are a couple progress photos taken on June 16th :




Back to work today - I took more photos yesterday that I will post later. My original intention was to keep the fingers and wrist flexible, but while working on it yesterday, I decided against that and formed the hand into a position that I found attractive.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment