Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Where Do You Come From"...

That is a working title, although I'm sure I'll keep it. First thoughts are generally the ones I go with.

I am not thoroughly pleased with this piece. I felt that I really rushed it, especially today, and that impatience lead to a slew of problems. I intend to redo it at some point after I've given myself time to look it over and nitpick.

One thing I've been trying with these last two pieces (talking about the post prior to this one that has yet to be titled) is to play with the paper and see how tolerant it is. I use this paper a lot - Bristol Smooth. It's one of my favorite papers to use, but I'm not so sure it's suitable for pastels. Or maybe it's the repeated erasing and aggressive rubbing that did it in, but not long into working the sky the paper started to pill up - mainly around the female's head. It all went downhill from there.

One thing I like about the picture are the expressions. While the faces aren't nearly as expressive as I wanted them to be, I feel like I still got some of it out. It's certainly an excellent starting point for the next attempt at this particular piece.

I'm growing accustomed to this sigh I get when I finish a work - usually right after removing all the tape. It's...relief. Pleasure. Excitement and anticipation. I like it! My rotator cuff, however, does not and is super pissed.

-M





No comments:

Post a Comment