Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Illustration Friday: Heights

When I was younger, I had to wear a Milwaukee brace.  The name sounds fun because "Milwaukee" is involved in a lot of neat things, including beer, but this was not fun.  Though it did a variety of things to me, the relevant-to-this-post thing is that it did not allow me to look down.  It held my head up and forward and it took a lot of getting used to.  With each step, I felt like I was going to fall off the edge of whatever I was standing on, even if what I was standing on had no edges - didn't matter.  Thus, I became afraid of heights.  Walking on ground was frightening enough...walking on anything elevated was a nightmare.  Thankfully, the elementary school I attended was kind enough to give me a key to the elevator so I could completely avoid the stairs.
 
So here is my translation of Illustration Friday's "Heights":
 
[tags illustration, illustration friday, pastels, pencil, ink, colored pencil, brace, scoliosis, milwaukee brace, child, heights, height]

No comments:

Post a Comment