Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pinteresting things with Pinterest...

I'm not known for being clever...
 
I received an invite to sign up for a Pinterest account back in February.  I finally took the plunge a few days ago and created one.  I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it or even what I'm supposed to do.  I keep hitting "Like" on images that I actually like and then I also pin them - frankly I don't know the difference!  Why would I pin something if I didn't like it and why "Like" something if I have no intention of pinning it?  Whew!
 
There was a very passionate and frightening discussion going on about artists using Pinterest and having their work stolen and something about copyright issues.  They chose not to have an account based on that.  It makes sense, of course, but the other side of it is that Pinterest seems like it could be used as a tool for promoting the work that you do.  Since I'm still not exactly sure how it really works, I don't know if the link belonging to the original image follows the image through being repeatedly pinned.  I don't even know if that made a bit of sense.  Say I have a website (soon) and I decide to pin one of my images.  The image is linked to my site, so if someone clicks on it, they can see where the image came from, yes?  Does this go away as the image goes through the process of being pinned over and over?

Even if the original link was removed at some point and my image was just another image floating around out there, aside from typical concerns (someone taking the image and creating prints or printing it on t-shirts, mugs - making a profit off your work in some fashion), is there another reason to be worried?  The idea that your work is no longer yours is a bit bothersome, but I'm not sure of the likelihood of that happening with my work. 
 
I do have a great deal of fun looking at other artists' boards, though!  I have voyeuristic tendencies, so looking at images that a person has collected satisfies my weird-ass curiosity!  In case anyone wants to peek into my head, my Pinterest is ItDoesArt (of course!).  I can't promise anything exciting and, as you know, I have a problem sticking with things so my...picture collection (what the hell is it called?!) is sparse and boring.  Once my shoulder heals a bit, I will pin the hell out of the Internet...
 
P.S. Just so you're aware, every time I say "Pinterest", I pronounce it "Pin-interest" and it's making me effing crazy...I don't know why I keep doing that, but I do hope I'm not alone! 
 
[tags art, pinterest, interesting, pins, artist, pictures, images, copyright, thoughts, opinions, tools, promotion, drawing, work]

No comments:

Post a Comment